When purchasing homeowners insurance, many homeowners do a quick overview with their insurance agent and call it done. But taking the little bit of extra time it needs to understand the policy and what’s covered may save you precious dollars down the road.
It is standard for policies to cover damage caused by fire, smoke, storms which include hail, windstorms, and lightning, and theft.
- Personal property coverage which includes electrical devices, clothing, and furniture.
- If damage occurs from a storm, homeowners insurance will pay to make the necessary repairs on our home. This also includes detached garages or sheds, fences, and landscaping.
- Liability insurance which is needed if someone gets injured on your property.
What’s Not Included:
- Flooding. If you live in a floodplain, make sure to buy flood insurance as an add-on.
- Earthquakes and Sinkholes. Again, only buy this additional insurance this if living in an area that is prone to these natural disasters.
- Mold. Mold usually occurs after there has been damage to the home such as flooding or if pipes burst. If calling in a claim to get the damage repaired, address how to prevent the growth of mold with the repairman.
- Sewer pipes that burst. If you have a sewer pipe that bursts in your home and causes damage to flooring, furniture and personal belongings will usually not be covered.
- Sump pump failure. Just as with sewer pipes, if you have a sump pump that runs through your yard and into your home, the damage is not covered.
To find out if you have the right policy for your home, call the Martin Insurance Team at 708-330-4404 or visit our website to learn more information. We’re conveniently located in Evergreen Park, IL.