Being diagnosed with a chronic or terminal illness is a life-changing event. But did you know it can also affect your health insurance?
How Your Diagnosis Affects Coverage
Recent legislation has mandated that most health insurance plans should offer certain minimum coverages. The types of treatment covered and the amounts your insurance company will pay towards those costs can vary widely. Always check with your insurance provider before agreeing to pay for treatments.
Whether your plan is employer-sponsored or privately purchased, these things are usually covered by your insurer.
- Visits to your primary care physician, and any specialists to which you are referred
- Lab tests
- Prescribed medications
- Rehabilitation services like physical and occupational therapies
Managing the Costs of Chronic and Terminal Care
Keep in mind that deductibles and co-pays will vary based on the specifics of your insurance contract. The experts at Martin Insurance Team can help you find a plan that fits your health care needs in the Evergreen Park, IL area.
Copays and deductibles can demand a large investment for those who need constant or specialized care. These tips will help you manage your out-of-pocket costs associated with your diagnosis.
- Ask your doctor to prescribe generic versions of medications.
- A health savings account (HSA) can help reduce out-of-pocket costs on co-pays for treatments, therapies, co-pays, and other costs associated with managing your condition.
- Consider higher premium plans. You might think you’re saving money by choosing plans with lower monthly payments, but your plan may not provide the level of coverage needed to manage serious illnesses and injuries. Plans with higher premiums usually have lower deductibles and copays, which save you money in the long run.
If you’re in the Evergreen Park, IL area, contact the experts at Martin Insurance Team. They are here to make sure your health insurance covers all of your needs.