If the power goes out in your home in Evergreen Park, there are actually quite a few things you can do. The more you know and the more you prepare, the easier it will be to go about your daily routine, even without any kind of power.
There’s a lot you can do, and much of it is about preparing.
- Freeze water bottles so you can keep the freezer and fridge food colder for longer.
- Stock up on batteries so you can replace them as needed within fans, flashlights, and even electronics.
- Buy food that doesn’t need to be heated or refrigerated.
- Invest in an emergency radio so you can obtain emergency information as it is released.
- Have a few alternatives for heat, such as a fireplace, gas grill, or solar oven.
- Bottle jugs of water so you have them available.
When the power goes out, keep everyone calm. It doesn’t do anyone any good to freak out about the fact that there are no lights. Issue flashlights everyone in your family and gather everyone for a meeting.
You should have at least one week’s worth of food in your pantry so that you don’t have to worry about sustenance. If the electric company has not issued a timeframe in which your power will be resumed, you will want to ration the food to make sure it lasts as long as possible.
Bring out some board games, decks of cards, and even puzzles to keep everyone entertained. This will prevent restlessness and help to pass the time until the power comes back on.
Call and speak to one of our agents on the Martin Insurance Team today. We look forward to helping you find affordable home insurance and quotes from insurance companies throughout Illinois.