How Do I Know if I Have Enough Home Insurance Coverage?

You know you need homeowner’s insurance, but you may not know if you have enough coverage. At Martin Insurance Team in Evergreen Park, IL, our skilled agents are here to ensure you have the coverage you need. 

The Right Coverage Matters

If your home is destroyed, your homeowner’s policy will determine how much money you have to replace it. Ideally, having enough to replace a home similar to your current one would be best. 

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling coverage is designed to replace your home if it’s destroyed, which is known as a total loss. 

The cost to replace your home may be more than what you paid, and the average home prices in your area aren’t a great indication either. 

The best way to know if you have enough dwelling coverage is to get an appraisal from a local contractor or appraiser. 

If it’s been years since you had your home appraised or you’ve added to the structure of your home, there’s a good chance that you need more dwelling coverage. 

Contents Coverage 

You’ll also want to check your content coverage. If your home is destroyed, you’ll lose most or all of your possessions as well.

You may need to increase this coverage if you have accumulated valuable items since you took out your homeowner’s policy. You may also need to add a rider for very valuable items, like jewelry, antiques, and art. 

Lender Requirements 

Lastly, if you have a mortgage, you should ensure that your policy meets your lender’s requirements. This requirement will vary based on your mortgage company and the amount of your mortgage. 

Homeowner’s Insurance with Martin Insurance Team

If you need homeowner’s insurance in Evergreen Park, IL, contact us at Martin Insurance Team. We will discuss your needs and help you select the proper coverage.